How much does refelting a pool table cost?Get a free quote now
Post to find a price. It's free and only takes a minute.
$97 - $550
- Pool table refelting costs
- Tips on how to take care of your pool table
- How do I know if it’s time to book a pool table refelting?
- How do I find a professional to do pool table refelting?
Find pool table refelting experts, fast
Post a task with your price in mind, then get offers.
It's free and takes only a minute.
See how it works
Playing pool is a fun and relaxing way to spend a Friday night with your friends. However, endless hours of fun may cause wear and tear damage. If this happens, you may be wondering about pool table refelting prices in your area.
So how much does refelting a pool table cost? The average cost of refelting a pool table may range from $285 to $515. Other factors to consider when calculating pool table refelting costs include your preferred pool table felt, type, and color. Not sure where to start? This article will tell you the details you need to know!
Pool table refelting costs
Before diving into how much it costs to refelt a pool table, you must first recognize the two kinds of pool tables that may be familiar to you. British/Australian pool tables and American pool tables. The primary difference between the two is that an American table is larger than a British/Australian table. British/Australian tables are usually made of 6 to 7 ft in length. This is usually a good choice if your table is placed inside your house. This is also to give enough space for you to go around. On the other hand, American tables usually range from 8 to 9 ft.
If you bought a felt replacement, you could hire somebody to do the labor for you with a labor cost of $125 to $280, depending on your location.
The rate in refelting a pool table usually includes the removal of old cloth and fitting and marking up required lines and spots in your new cloth. Minor touch-ups like cracks and chips and levelling of tables may incur additional costs depending on its complexity.
Here is the price range of a pool table refelting a standard American pool table size:
Refelt price range
$97 to $00
$114 to $500
$139 to $550
Napped pool cloth vs worsted pool cloth
Choosing the right table pool cloth is important when having your pool table refelted. The two main types of pool table cloth are napped pool cloth and worsted pool cloth.
A napped pool cloth has a velvety texture, with fibres napped in a single direction. This is the most regular felt used for pool tables. This cloth needs more maintenance than a worsted cloth as it requires more brushing. If you are wondering how this cloth would affect your game, it usually gives a slower speed to the ball and allows curving the balls for experienced players. A napped pool cloth starts at $130 to $350.
Worsted cloth is weaved in worsted style, making it smoother and finer than the woollen pool cloth. The cloth is comparable to the texture of cotton. It reduces friction resulting in smoother and quicker movement of the balls. This cloth holds a higher quality and gives better plays. A worsted cloth starts at $315 and can go higher to $1000.
Cloth brands such as Eddit Charlton, Hainsworth, Matrix, and Strachan are the most popular and known for their quality and durability. Check these brands to identify what's best for you and your budget.
The regular felt colors used without extra cost are green, blue, red and burgundy. You will find that if you want a felt color other than the four mentioned, you may pay an additional price to refelt your pool table.
Tips on how to take care of your pool table
Now that you have refelted your pool table, maintaining it is your next step. You don't want to have it refelted every month or so. Here are a few tips in cleaning your pool table to help you perform best and help it live longer:
- Use a brush that is designed to gently clean your felt. Keep in mind to slightly brush in one direction.
- Vacuum the pockets. A helpful tip is to brush the dust in the pocket and vacuum them together.
- If you spilt liquid on your table, never rub it with a cloth. Instead, use a clean, dry towel and lightly damp it on the area to absorb the liquid.
- If there is any stain, you may use a mixture of water and vinegar, pour it over the area, and dampen the towel until it soaks up the liquid.
- Clean the wooden part of your table using a regular cloth. Wipe thoroughly and use wood polish to keep it nice and shiny.
- Clean the pool balls using a traditional cloth to remove dust and any residue.
- You may opt to place a small table near your pool table so your friends can place their drinks in that area instead. This way, you can avoid spills and stains that are difficult to remove.
How do I know if it’s time to book a pool table refelting?
If you are unsure if you already need a pool table refelting, here are a few things to observe:
- If your felt looks old and ragged due to the normal wear and tear, it's probably time to refelt. A minor defect in the felt will affect your game. Make sure to cover your pool table if not in use to avoid dirt accumulation, spills and scratches.
- Check the texture of the surface and see if you start seeing lint.
- If you are tired of seeing the color of your felt, then you may opt to change it. Choosing a color outside green, blue, red, and burgundy may have extra charges.
- The usual quality of felt decreases after five years. If you've been using your pool table for more than five years, it is time to do a quality check and see the signs listed above.
How do I find a professional to do pool table refelting?
Finding a professional to do the labor is easy. Once you post a task on Airtasker, nearby specialists will make offers to do the job. Their profiles may contain their portfolio, which can help you decide who to hire. You may also inquire with all-around laborers that specialize in installing fitness equipment as they may include pool table refelting in their list. It is vital that businesses that provide service are registered. You may check the US Small Business Administration (SBA) for licencing concerns. A final reminder to check if there is any warranty, so you won't have to worry if some things don't go as you wanted.
If looking for a professional to do pool table refelting is unnecessary stress, we got you! Airtasker can help you find somebody to do quality work that is within your budget.
Find pool table refelting experts, fastPost a task
Pool table refelting will only take half of your day. British/Australian pool tables may only take two to three hours, while an American pool table will take three to four hours to recover.
If the ball's movement is not as smooth as before, and your table has already been damaged from normal wear and tear, it's time to have it checked by a professional.
A quality felt will last you five years, depending on the frequency of use. Pool tables in a private home will last longer than pool tables used for business purposes.
Related price guides
Let's do this!
It's free and takes only a minute.