How much does a garden designer cost?Get a free quote now
Post to find a price. It's free and only takes a minute.
£500 - £4,500
- Differentiating garden designers and landscape architects
- Garden design price list
- Factors affecting the cost of garden design
- Saving money on garden design
- Book a garden designer on Airtasker
Find garden design experts, fast
Post a task with your price in mind, then get offers.
It's free and takes only a minute.
See how it works
Well-manicured gardens require an experienced eye and attention to detail that only the best garden designers can provide. But how much should you spend on their services?
A garden design costs £2,500, but actual garden design prices in the UK can be higher or lower than this amount, depending on many factors. This guide enumerates these variables so that you can budget accordingly.
Differentiating garden designers and landscape architects
Before we dive into why gardening design estimates vary, let’s discuss garden designers and landscape architects. Are they the same? These two terms are confusing because they both deal with outdoor spaces and plants. Sometimes they share the same goal. But their differences are significant:
- Landscape architecture usually works with bigger projects. They’re the ones often hired for commercial or industrial jobs. Meanwhile, garden designers plan residential spaces like backyards or take on transactional projects.
- Garden designers don’t need to pass a certification exam. Landscape architects should possess an undergraduate or postgraduate degree recognised by the Landscape Institute.
- Also known as backyard design, garden design focuses on installing, improving, and maintaining horticultural land only. Landscape architecture has a broader scope, focusing on how their work fits the overall surroundings.
- Garden designers aren’t landscapers, who do the actual physical work. But many designers work alongside or create a team to turn their vision into reality.
Overall, both landscaping architects and garden designers perform phenomenal jobs in adding more life to a barren, dull outdoor space. But if you’re a homeowner, you’re most likely looking for a garden designer.
Garden design price list
Here’s an overview of the cost of garden design and landscaping based on landscape features:
£500–£2,700 per metre
£25,000 per installation
£5–£20 per metre of material
£70–£110 per square metre
£700–$11,000 per installation
£40 per square metre
£30–£230 per design
Factors affecting the cost of garden design
Landscape styles and features
How much do garden designers charge in the UK? The answer lies in your preferred landscape style and the amenities you wish to see. For example, a low-cost minimalist garden design could cost around £30 to £150 per square metre, making it one of the most affordable. This is because it compels you to stick to the essentials:
- You use fewer materials for garden planting.
- The project often doesn’t require designers with extensive working experience.
- Completing the work takes only a few hours or days.
- The features are barebones. You might have a beautiful walkway and an aboveground swimming pool, which costs around £1,000 for the most basic variety.
The project cost also varies according to the features you want. Drip irrigation can become one of the priciest additions because of labour, system design, area coverage, and seasonal maintenance. On the other hand, a simple birdbath hardly dents your wallet at only £15.
Size and materials
Other variables that affect garden design costs are size and materials. It’s a given that the garden design cost per m2 gradually increases the bigger the lot gets. But you can expect to spend at least £5 to £20 per square metre for simple jobs, such as decking.
The materials' costs depend on the overall design and features:
- A standard concrete patio is at least £60 per square metre, but a raised one starts at £10 more.
- When it comes to water feature installation, drilled rocks are already £500 per project (excluding labour).
- Retaining wall prices are based on materials and size to cover. Garden walls average £500 if they’re a metre high. They can then balloon to nearly £3,000 if their height is close to 2 metres.
Lastly, the average cost of garden design in the UK can vary according to project complexity. This includes terrain, timeline, and labour. First on the list is labour. These are the average hourly prices for garden designers in the UK, ranging from £60 to £200. However:
- The costs go up if the project demands long hours and extensive credentials, such as a more intimate knowledge of local plants or soil types.
- The price is lower if you hire a garden maintenance team.
- Extra work also matters. The cost of a garden design consultation is about £125 an hour if you’re speaking to a team.
- Terrain matters. If your yard demands a raised patio, the team will have to mark the ground, dig a trench for the retaining wall, and level this trench before they can pour concrete. These complicated tasks can increase the cost of services.
Saving money on garden design
You can build a lush outdoors without breaking the bank with these budget gardening ideas:
- Use plants that don’t need a lot of water.
- Choose perennials instead of annuals.
- Group plants together in clusters.
- Go for low-maintenance plants.
- Apply mulch to keep the soil moist and cool.
☞ Get inspired with more gardening tips and ideas: Gardening guide for beginners
Book a garden designer on Airtasker
If you’re looking for help creating the perfect outdoor space, booking garden or landscape designers on Airtasker is a great way to get the job done! You can easily connect with qualified professionals with experience in designing beautiful gardens.
Finding the right person is easy, too:
- Register a free account.
- Create a task including specific details, such as what you want your garden to look like, your budget, and your timeline.
- Browse profiles of professionals in your area who offer garden design services. Review their portfolios and ratings from other customers.
- Receive offers and pick the best.
So how much does a garden design cost? The best way to estimate is to look at the many factors that dictate it. Either way, Airtasker has garden designers who can work with your budget without compromising craftsmanship. If you post a task now, you’ll soon say hello to a better-looking garden.
Find garden design experts, fastPost a task
In the UK, the cost of a garden designer per square metre is around £5 to £20 for simple work, including mowing or installing a bird bath. It quickly goes up if more complex amenities are needed, the terrain is challenging, or the contractor has to secure more permits.
A garden redesign costs at least £100 per square metre, especially if you want a major overhaul.
A garden designer costs around £60 per hour, but it’s often worth it. Garden designers are the best in planning and executing even the most complicated projects for an amount you’re willing to spend. Plus, you can save yourself from the hassle of trial and error.
Yes, but the design is often more vital than the garden size. A well-designed garden with thoughtful landscaping can create visual interest and charm, making it appealing to homebuyers.
Related price guides
Let's do this!
It's free and takes only a minute.