How much does gutter guard installation cost?Get a free quote now
Post to find a price. It's free and only takes a minute.
£150 - £2,750
Roof repair does wonders for your home. It increases the property’s resale value and maintains its look for years. But if you want to spend less on maintenance, consider installing a gutter guard.
The average gutter guard installation cost is £1,450. It is not the cheapest home project, so many homeowners DIY. But you can control many factors, such as the guard type, labour, and add-on services, to make it more affordable. This guide will explain each.
Average gutter guard installation costs
Gutter guard installation type
Low-cost project, usually without a scaffolding
£0.80 per metre or £225 per day, including material and labour
Average project complexity, with scaffolding but easy access to the roof and gutter
£8 per metre
Complex or high-end gutter guard project, with scaffolding
£13.50 per metre or £475 per day, including material and labour
Factors affecting gutter guard installation costs
Gutter guard type
The average cost to install gutter guards highly depends on the type. Some popular options include the following:
- Steel screens. Typically made of heavy-duty powder-coated aluminium or galvanized steel, these are among the top three cheapest roof guards. They can also protect against leaves and debris. However, they might not be as effective in larger rain events.
- Plastic screens. The most affordable in the market, plastic gutter guards are lightweight, resistant to rusting and corrosion, and easily installed by DIYers. However, the material is less rigid than steel and might not hold up for many years.
- Mesh screens. A mid-range option in terms of cost, with an average price of £200 (including materials and labour), mesh gutter guards usually feature built-in UV protection or stainless steel construction. They are very effective in keeping out leaves and other debris. However, pine needles and small pods can clog them because of their small openings.
- Foam inserts. The average cost of foam guards is comparable to that of mesh screens. Foams are popular because they fit snugly into the gutters and allow water to pass through while catching debris well. On the downside, they can retain water, causing seeds and pods to take root.
- Brush. Gutter brushes contain heavy-duty bristles inserted into the gutters, blocking out leaves and other debris. Although they require occasional cleaning, the brushes are easy to attach and maintain, but the installation costs might also set you back; this is one of the priciest options in the market.
- Heated gutter guards. These are ideal for properties that deal with significant ice dams during and after winter. The heated gutter guards cost is slightly higher than a brush.
Labour costs also influence the gutter guard cost per metre. However, this is not advisable if:
- You are scared of heights.
- Your home has two or more storeys.
- The roof is challenging to access.
- You are uncomfortable with the size and type of ladder you need for the job.
- You want to avoid costly mistakes, such as incorrect measuring and installation.
In these cases, hire a professional installer. On average, the labour cost to install gutter guards is around £275 an hour for a half-day project. Depending on these factors, you can spend more or less:
- Gutter coverage. Installers charge per metre, so the wider the coverage, the higher the cost.
- Accessibility. The cost can also increase if your roof is hard to reach and requires extra equipment or more time to install guards correctly.
- Materials or guard type. Most gutter installation experts already supply the materials. Usually, it accounts for at least 40% of the total project cost.
- Location. Those who serve more popular urban cities could charge more because of higher demand and cost of living.
Additional gutter guard services
How much does it cost to install gutter guards? It also varies if you want other services to go along with it:
- Gutter cleaning. Cleaning the existing roof and gutter is a necessary step before installing guards, and it usually costs an additional £350 to £850, depending on the size of your home or property.
- Gutter replacement or repair. If some gutter sections have holes, rust damage, or weak spots, the provider should replace or reinforce them before installing the guards. The cost of gutter repair or replacement usually ranges from £50 and up.
- Gutter maintenance. Keeping the gutters in top condition requires regular inspection and cleaning, costing around £18 to £25 per hour for the labour. You must also pay extra for materials if the guards must be replaced or adjusted.
Post a task for gutter guard installation
The cost of gutter guards installed is worth it when you think about the peace of mind, safety, and convenience that they bring. If you need professional gutter guard installation help, post a task on Airtasker. Here is how it works:
- Describe your task. Include the size, type, and condition of your gutter guards and the additional services you need.
- Get offers from Taskers near you. You can view each profile and rating to find the most qualified person for the job.
- Agree on a price. You can communicate with the Tasker to receive a fixed quote that fits your budget.
- Schedule the task. Once you have chosen the best Tasker for the job, arrange a convenient time and date for them to complete the installation and other tasks you requested.
Overall, installing a gutter guard system is a smart way to protect your home from water damage, making the cost worth it. If you need help installing gutter guards, Taskers can carry do it for you safely and efficiently.
Find gutter guard installers, fastPost a task
Yes, gutter guards are worth it. They help keep leaves and other debris from clogging your gutters while preventing overflow or water damage. They can also reduce the need for regular maintenance and extend the life of your gutters and roofs.
Installations usually take one to two days, depending on the property’s size and the job’s complexity.
Gutter guards usually last between 10 and 20 years, with proper maintenance and cleaning. You can also get a warranty to spend less on repair and replacement.
Yes, but the water can also overflow with debris when the volume is high.
Related price guides
Let's do this!
It's free and takes only a minute.