How much do hair extensions cost?Get a free quote now
Post to find a price. It's free and only takes a minute.
£200 - £1,500
Everyone wants long, luscious locks, but getting there can take years. Luckily, hair extensions exist to help you get there without putting in the years.
The average cost of hair extensions ranges from £200 to £650, but it can go up to £1,500. Meanwhile, the fitting will cost around £40 to £150. This will depend on several factors. For example, permanent hair extensions cost more than tape-in or clip-in hair extensions costs.
Hair extensions can be a splurge, but It can be worth it if you weigh the essential considerations that factor into how much hair extensions cost. This cost guide will help you through that process.
Hair extensions price list
There are different types of hair extensions. This table not only gives you an estimation of how much it costs.
Types of hair extensions
Fusion hair extensions
Factors affecting the cost of hair extensions
Type of extension
- Clip-in extensions: This type is best for medium-density hair. Clip-in extensions come in strands of various lengths that are sewn in. They’re low-maintenance and can be styled and dyed in many ways. Clip-in extensions costs range from £200.
- Tape-in extensions: An easy extension to take out and wash, tape-in extensions are pre-taped and glued on either side of your own hair. It’s perfect for those with fine or thin hair. As for the price, tape-in extensions can cost up to £400.
- Sew-in extensions: Sew-in extensions provide more versatility and last longer than other extensions. You can wear it in various ways. It’s a more permanent type of extension since there’s no danger of falling off. You can get sew-in extensions for around £350.
- Fusion hair extensions: These extensions are combined with the hair using adhesives. Fusion hair extensions cost about £500 and require little maintenance, as you can treat it as real hair.
- Micro-ring extensions: Micro- and nano-ring extensions are attached to the hair using rings. It works like a headband that you weave and blends into your hair. Micro extensions are normally priced at £650.
As you can see in the list above, there are types of hair extensions ideal for different types of hair. If you have fine hair, getting extensions may be less expensive than if you have curly or coarse hair, also considering the type of extensions and length you'll get.
Type of hair used
Hair extension prices also depend on the kind of hair used in the extensions. Human hair extensions are costs higher than synthetic ones. The quality of human and synthetic hair extensions will also dictate the price.
Where you’re getting the extensions
Getting extensions at a salon versus at home can provide a considerable price difference. Salon prices are typically higher than getting a hairstylist to do your hair and put hair extensions in the comfort of your own home.
The length of the hair also has a major effect on the cost of hair extensions, regardless if it’s human or synthetic hair. Longer strands will generally cost more than shorter extensions. Hair colour is also a factor here. Darker colours typically cost less than lighter hair colours.
Hair extension prices will vary depending on where you are in the UK. You can expect to pay higher service costs in more cosmopolitan cities.
How to save money on hair extensions
Getting hair extensions can be pretty expensive. But if you plan it properly and follow these tips, you can save money.
- Set a practical budget you can strictly follow
- You can get your hair trimmed to reduce the length of your hair and the extensions you’ll need
- Get a pro to do your extensions for you instead of going to the salon
- Ask your trusted hairdresser about the proper way to wash your hair extensions
- Use hair products with mild ingredients
- Use the right type of brush for your hair type
If you’re wondering how much it costs to maintain hair extensions, you can talk to your specialist about when you should set a maintenance appointment, as various types have their own maintenance needs and are priced differently.
Post a task to get hair extensions
Getting hair extensions is not cheap. So it’s best to find a hair extensions specialist to help you choose the right type for your hair and fit it comfortably on your locks.
Save unnecessary stress when looking for a professional by posting a task on our platform. It's great to be as detailed as possible in your post. You can include your budget, hair type, colour, and length. The more details you add, the better. After that, all you need to do is wait for Taskers to reach out and provide you with quotes.
Find hair extensions experts, fastPost a task
Hair extensions, when expertly put, can last for about six months. If you’re using human hair for extensions, this can last for about a year. Of course, this will depend on how you take care of your extensions. After some time, they will become worn and won’t be as tangle-free and soft as they once were.
It will depend on the type of hair used in the hair extensions. You can wash synthetic hair weekly using cold water and a small amount of shampoo. Hair extensions made with human hair can be washed as normal hair. However, frequent washing and heating of hair extensions can significantly affect their longevity.
Start with shampooing your hair with a clarifying shampoo. If possible, skip the conditioner. When drying, try detangling all the knots and tangles in your hair. It's also best to dry your hair so the hairstylist can start with a clean palette.
Related price guides
Let's do this!
It's free and takes only a minute.