How much does it cost to install picket fences?Get a free quote now
Post to find a price. It's free and only takes a minute.
$500 - $4,500
Last Updated on
No fence spells class and charm more than a picket fence. In fact, a white picket fence is a quintessential symbol of a lovely suburban home. But how much should you pay for its installation?
The typical picket fence cost is $2,500. But other factors, such as materials, project complexity, and extra services, can affect the price. This guide will discuss everything you need to know about the cost of picket fencing and help you get accurate quotes from contractors.
Price list for picket fence installation
Cost of picket fencing
New South Wales
Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
Northern Territory (NT)
Usually, contractors quote according to the area. On average, the cost of picket fencing per metre is $75. But as the table above shows, the prices can swing wildly from less than a thousand to over $3,000 per project. It’s because the final cost considers multiple variables.
What affects picket fence installation costs?
At least three factors have a huge impact on picket installation prices. These are materials, project complexity, and additional services.
The material is the biggest factor influencing the cost of picket fence installation in Australia.
Timber is a favourite among picket-fence fans because it easily goes well with home aesthetics. But the biggest challenge is maintenance. Staining, for example, can easily shore up the overall price of a wooden fence to at least 10% compared to an aluminium fence. Overall, installing wood picket fences may cost up to $120 per metre.
Aluminium is the second preferred picket fence material because it is versatile, durable, and non-corrosive. In other words, it’s easy to maintain. However, the typical aluminium picket fence cost is higher than wood at a minimum of $95 per metre.
A steel picket fence is popular for contemporary or industrial homes. Steel is also a durable material that can withstand extreme weather conditions. The cost of a steel picket fence depends on the type you choose. Galvanised steel is the most affordable option, with a price tag of around $100 per metre.
PVC is a synthetic plastic known for being weather-resistant and low maintenance. It’s also lightweight, making it easy to install. The cost of a PVC picket fence varies according to type. The most common is uPVC, with a price tag of around $55 per metre.
Vinyl has the same benefits as PVC, with the bonus of mimicking the look of timber. The price usually starts at $40 per metre.
How much is a picket fence? It also depends on project complexity, including:
- Area size. The bigger the land that needs fencing, the pricier it gets.
- Regulations. Local zoning and land laws can make a simple fence installation project more time-consuming, stressful, and, therefore, expensive. Contractors might have to file the proper paperwork, which is an additional cost, before commencing the job.
- Purpose. Picket fences are usually decorative. But they can also have other functions, such as containing animals or providing privacy. The more complex the desired function, the pricier the job might be. For example, garden fencing could cost more than a privacy fence because the former is often shorter and has more intricate designs.
- Terrain difficulty. Is the area sloped or hilly? If so, the contractor will need to level the land before installing the fence, which will add to the picket fence cost.
- Fence sections. If you have a lot of obstacles in your yard, such as trees and bushes, you might need more sections built. More sections mean more posts, panels, and work—and a higher bill.
The cost of a picket fence will also vary according to the additional services you need. Some contractors are ready to go the extra mile for a reasonable price. They might offer:
- Replacement and removal of old picket fences
- Fence design
- Fence staining and sealing
- Emergency picket fence repair
- Land levelling or contouring
☞ Related guide: How much does fence repair cost?
Hire a picket fence installer on Airtasker
Overall, many things can affect the cost of picket fence installation. However, you’ll have better control over your spending through Airtasker. Knowing the cost of picket fence installation is the first step. The next one is to find the best contractor for the job—one who can give you excellent service for the budget you have in mind.
Connect with a local Tasker by posting a task. To find the right person, include these details in the request form:
- Your location and budget
- Your preferred date and time
- Size of the land you want to fence
- Type of fence you like
- Other services you’re looking for
You’ll shortly get offers and be able to choose the best professional for your needs.
Find picket fencing contractors, fastPost a task
A picket fence is a type of fence traditionally used as a border around a property. It’s usually made of wood, aluminium, or steel and consists of evenly spaced vertical boards, or pickets, attached to horizontal rails.
Picket fences are often used for decorative purposes, but they can serve other functions, such as improving privacy or keeping animals inside a property.
The simplest jobs that cover only a small land area on a level or easy-to-navigate terrain are more likely to finish in two to three days. More complex ones, especially those that involve the removal of old fences or staining of wood fences, might take at least a week.
DIY picket fence installation isn’t always affordable. It requires thoughtful planning, the right materials for the terrain or soil type, and an understanding of the local regulations. Unless you have all these, you might be making a costly mistake.
Pickets should be at least two inches off the ground to prevent moisture from damaging them.
Related price guides
Let's do this!
It's free and takes only a minute.