From the 1983 release on the Nintendo Entertainment System to the N64, the Wii and beyond we’ve jumped, bumped and woo-hoo’d our way through brightly coloured worlds with Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi to find coins, save the Mushroom Kingdom and make sure pesky turtles don’t stop important plumbing jobs.
Make a Super Mario cake
Im after a basic, 1 tier 6th birthday cake with a Mario theme to feed approx 12 children
Here are five facts in case you need to remind the next generation you thought Super Mario was cool before they did:
- The character Mario first appeared in Donkey Kong in 1981.
- Until 1996 Princess Peach was called ‘Toadstool’ in the English versions of the game, but she has always been called ‘Peach’ in Japan. Which one is her real name? Both – her full name is ‘Princess Peach Toadstool’.
- If you collect all the coins in the third level of a world you will activate a secret 1-up mushroom on the first level of the next world. Yasss!
- The Mario brothers might be the original Taskers! They do plumbing, construction and demolition work on demand, and clearly bring a stack of other stills to the table…Mario has also appeared as a Doctor.
- A racoon leaf, feather, Yoshi wings, blue shell or wing cap will make you fly in any Mario game.
Want more? For a bonus round here’s something probably best left in the past: live action Super-Mario-Bros-on-Ice from 1989.
For more Super Mario trivia from the archive check out the original fan site SMBHQ by Kyle Orland.