As Christmas decorations fill department stores and Christmas carols play in every shop, Christmas season is well and truly here.
Right now you’re more money focused than ever as Christmas Day plans are made, present lists created and party invitations start to arrive. But just because tis’ the season to be jolly, it doesn’t mean you can’t be cash-savvy at the same time.
One of the easiest ways to save money is to cut back on the expense of Christmas decorations. Whether it’s DYI, smart shopping or recycling you can still make you’re home look amazing and it’s not as hard as you think.
Be One Step Ahead
Ever wondered what is the stock most reduced on Boxing Day? Christmas decorations. As with most themed holiday merchandise, decorations are drastically reduced the day after Christmas.
In fact you’ll now find decoration discounting slowly starts a few days before Christmas Day. So with a bit of planning and purchasing in advance you’ll get some serious bargains for the next year.
Being prepared earlier means that you won’t need to buy for convenience as the season nears, rather you can source great bargains a number of ways:
– You’ll often find the same item online, and can price match between sites to make sure you’re getting the best price for the merchandise.
– Make sure you check out multiple stores when purchasing your decorations. For example, plain baubles are a Christmas staple, however you could be paying triple the price in a high-end department store compared to a discount department stores. Spending less on the standard decorations will allow you to splash out on some show stopper decorations.
Let your inner crafter come out this year with “do it yourself” decorations. It’s an easy and creative alternative that will entertain you and the kids.
How to get started:
• Pinterest is your new best friend for inspiration. Create a decoration board and pin images you like
• There also many helpful tutorials via blogs and YouTube
• Involve the whole family and have a crafting night
• The DIY decorations also double as personalised gifts to give to friends and family – saving you even more.
Recycle – Reinvent What You Already Have
You’ll be surprised by what you can achieve by just recycling and reinventing the decoration wheel. Using decorations that are a little broken or for a different purpose is a great way to not only save money but also storage space.
All you need is a bit of glitter and some metallic paint and you can come up with some holiday themed decorations, an idea for a remake being to create wreath or garlands with left over material or old clothes.
Christmas is certainly not going anywhere, it’s guaranteed to come back the same time next yeah and make a dent in your bank account. By being creatively practical, even a year in advance, you can reduce the cost of decorating for the holiday season and leave you with money to spend on your love ones instead.